Monday, April 17, 2006

Shhh...Silence Please!


Silence please OR be a voice admist the silence?

Is silence really golden?

This question struck me during this morning lecture .

Today, something happened in lecture.

A girl who sat at the front row actually interrupted the lecture and pointed at a group of boys sitting on opposite row much higher up than hers and requested the lecturer to keep them silent. And of course, the lecture theatre was silence for a few seconds for everyone is shocked by the action of the 'brave soul'. Including the lecturer. He lost his chain of thoughts and took a while before continuing with his speech. Many students chuckled. And the lecture went on smoothly after that.

This evening, EEMeC threads was boiling. Many opinions were posted up. Silence in lectures has always been an issue in my medschool. Some condemned the 'brave soul' being more disrupting than those boys but some seconded her righteous indignation. Personally, I do not find these noise disturbing. Pointing at those boys was rather rude I reckon. However, her action could still be justified given she does not possess good selective hearing skill and expertise in making constructive comments.

Living in the UK for almost 3 quarter of a year have allowed me to adapt well to silence in the surrounding. My room is very much quieter now. No more laughters from my sisters and brother, no more foods on the dining table on time, no naggings from parents, etc. Missing all of them badly though.

However I am now again alone in my room. Silence is good supposingly only when one needs to study or to sleep. Have not been alone throughout this 3 weeks easter holidays. 1st week, Italy trips, 9 of us, talked lots of craps together. 2nd week, despite back in Edinburgh, yet still busy with msn-ing & skype-ing & catching up with frens. 3rd week, had good company from my KDU mates (bubbly Adelynn and wise Zhixin-thanks alot). Feeling uneasy at the silence suddenly.

Noise is good and a voice admist the silence is very much appreciated at times.

3 comments:

~ xYz ~ said...

shiying!!! didnt know you're here... hehe =D

WhiteFox said...

Xinyi: Got your email a few days ago and knew that you have got a blog too. I promised will drop by when I'm free ya!~ :p

~ xYz ~ said...

sy: haha.. sure! =)