Monday, April 10, 2006

The Passion of the Christ


Despite the movie has ended an hour ago , those scenes were simply too heart-wrenching and are still vividly appearing in my mind.

The movie was too BLOODY and 'geli'. Most of the time I was either covering my eyes or closing my ears. Thanks to James (a friend of mine in Edinburgh who is an extremely committed Catholics and is super-knowledgable on Christianity stuffs) for being my tutor for the movie. Should have brought him along during my Vatican trip.

Before the movie, my knowledge on Jesus Christ history and his crucifiction was zero. I could only identify him in famous frescos by spotting a scar on his ribs for an Aberdeen friend had once told me that a Roman soldier pierced Jesus' side with a spear to make sure he had died after the crucifiction. He also told me about this movie and insisted that I shouldn't watch it because there will be some 'bloody' scenes that I definitely cannot stand and might cry. Well, he was right.

Haiz...Curiosity is the main killer.

But, without James enlightenments, I wouldn't have learnt these facts. Some might be too simple and common to some of you but I have not learn till James explained them.
  1. A crucified person died because of lungs collapse. When one is nailed onto a cross, he will try to stand on his feet to support his weight. However, usually those criminals will have their knees broken by soldiers. And two hands that streched widely apart will not support one's weight and will eventually lead to compression of the lungs and hence inability to breathe.
  2. After the crucifiction, the legs of the two thieves were broken while Jesus's legs wasn't. This was supposed to concord with the prophecy that not one bone of Jesus shall be broken.
  3. Virgin Mary gave birth to Jesus at a young age of 16.
  4. Catholics take biscuits and wine in an occasion (I forgot what was it) for a reason. For wine represents Jesus's blood and biscuits represent Jesus's body.
  5. Some people crucified after Jesus (including some saints) chose to have the cross arranged in different ways from Jesus's. E.g A 'X' instead of a 'T' ; some chose to be hanged upside down on a cross.
  6. Satan in the movie was actually a fallen angel. Etc.....

And I would like to wish that Aberdeen friend to get well soon, heard he is sick.

Bon voyage to Sarah my flatmate. 10 days she will be away in France and this means no cookies, breads, pies or some nice French foods for me and a flatmate I can kacau late at night. Gonna miss her.

Good news is that Adelynn and ZhiXin will be coming from Warwick and London respectively tomorrow. Look forward to their arrivals and shopping+chatting+cooking in the next 5 days.


3 comments:

Adelynn said...

No. 4 in your list is called the Holy Communion.... =) And all christians take that...not only Catholics...

WhiteFox said...

Adelynn: Holy Communion, thanks for it. Earlier on, I used to think only Catholics have that because a Catholic fren of mine in Edinburgh told me so and she said that's smth on the Catholic church altar that differs from those Protestans one.

Anonymous said...

Ahh protestants. The difference is that the catholics believe that during communion the bread and the wine actually turn into the body and the blood of christ, whereas the protestants believe that it only represents the blood and body of christ. And they have had massive arguments about it for the last few hundred years. Slightly odd.